Dedicated Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for Pedestrian Hit By Car in Tacoma
Tacoma pedestrian accidents can happen in countless ways. Most often an automobile driver is not paying attention and the pedestrian is struck in the middle of a crosswalk. Whatever the cause, the consequences of a pedestrian vehicle accident are devastating. At Mark A. Hammer & Associates, Inc., we understand just how severe victims are hurt. Those who survive are often permanently disabled and unable to work. Our Tacoma auto accident lawyer has helped victims of auto accidents for 30 years.
Injuries Common to Victims Injured in Puget Sound Pedestrian Accidents
Injury is almost certain for victims of pedestrian accidents. The human body is simply no match for an automobile. The injuries victims tend to suffer in pedestrian accidents vary from the less severe to the catastrophic. Less severe injuries often involve fractures, sprained wrists, knees, and ankles, dislocations, tears to muscles, tendons, and ligaments, and friction burns from pavement.
Pedestrian accidents sometimes leave victims with crushing injuries to their hands and feet. These injuries may not be repairable, or perhaps bleeding cannot be stopped or infection has set in. Whatever the reason, amputation is a necessary life saving measure for some victims hurt in pedestrian accidents.
The most severe injuries for pedestrian accident victims are those to the head, neck, and back. Victims who suffer traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries face not just a lengthy recovery period, but likely also some sort of long-term consequence and future medical treatment.
Frequent Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Western Washington
There are many reasons why pedestrian accidents occur besides speeding. These include:
- Distracted driving, including cell phone use and texting
- Drunk driving
- Motorists rolling through stop signs, especially when making right turns
- Motorists making illegal or unsafe u-turns
- Dangerously designed intersections
- Poorly timed signals at crosswalks
- Street repair and construction sites
- Dangerous sidewalk conditions, including uneven pavement, cracks, and debris
- Trees, posts, signs, utility poles, and other obstructions blocking visibility
Recommended Pedestrian Accident Safety Measures
Although the risk of injury cannot be entirely eliminated, pedestrians can significantly decrease it by following certain time-tested safety tips:
- Wait for traffic to stop − You can never assume a driver will stop for you. The safest practice is to wait for all traffic to come to a complete stop before crossing.
- Cross in crosswalks − It is safest to cross roads in designated crosswalks. Usually, drivers are alerted to approaching crosswalks by road signs or traffic lights.
- Look both ways − A defensive pedestrian is a safe pedestrian. Even if you are in a crosswalk and all traffic has stopped, it is still a good idea to look both ways for oncoming vehicles.
Consult a Skilled Tacoma Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you have been hurt or someone close to you has been injured or killed in a pedestrian accident, contact our office today for more information. We offer all new clients a free, no obligation consultation.